Sunday, September 16, 2012

Elements and Principles Project

Elements and Principles Slideshow

I feel as though I needed to create a theme for the Elements and Principles Slideshow. It is supported by images in downtown Buffalo, near the Marina. I wanted to capture pictures that had meaning behind all of them.  The photos are in order of the elements and principles of design. I found it quite interesting to have to focus on every photo I took. It made me feel like each photo truly had a purpose.

My slideshow starts off with forms which is shown by several cube-like stone shapes. I thought this was a great representation by the specific definition of its shape. Next is variety and I took this to show the many beautiful things surrounding the picture itself. Unity is represented by the next picture, a way of expressing the oneness of the lights. All are together in unison. Balance is shown by what I would describe as two plants at the same level. Line is represented by many different lines such as curvy, horizontal and vertical. One thing I absolutely love is the reflection of the sky and clouds in the window. This gives the picture a new meaning. It almost looks as though I am taking the picture from the inside out. Shape is represented by two buildings and a signal light. I took this purposely to show several different shapes. The glass building is giving off, yet again, a reflection of the sky and clouds. This shows the shape and form of them both. The more square building to the right shows lines and definition of shape. The signal light gives a round, curved shape. Space is demonstrated through a tree whose trunks are split in two. I immediately thought of the element and knew this would be a great example. Negative space is represented by the sky in the background. Color is shown through a variety of different colored flowers. The colors green, red, white, pink, purple and white give off a soft, peaceful mood. Movement is displayed by the American flag blowing in the wind. It is half staffed in remembrance of the ones lost recently. Texture is represented by the feel that the picture gives when looking at the "bullet" holes. It looks as though they are three dimensional and literally popping out giving off a round, hard feeling. Repetition is shown with the railing and the way the bars keep repeating themselves. It also shows lines and depth of field. Pattern is a picture of the brick walkway along the marina. I thought it showed definition of what a specific pattern should be. The curvy bricks are a great example of this principle of design. I took the picture of the lighthouse, water and clouds to represent emphasis. When I look at the picture, my eyes immediately are drawn to the lighthouse. Finally, proportion is represented by the unity that is displayed through the sky, sunset, waves and beach. All are in proportion with each other.

Downtown Buffalo gave off a great vibe and I am very happy with my photography assignment. I hope everyone enjoys my unique slideshow of all my beautiful photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment